Pages


Friday, July 23, 2010

GYPSY'S BERRY BUBBLE

I LOVE BERRIES !!!
I can't stand to waste a one.

The raspberries and strawberries are near their end (with a little help from the deer) the blue berries are just turning and blackberries are close behind. 

Here's a tried and true favorite gypsy recipe that uses up all those stray berries in your fridge.

I use a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
Fill the jar about half full with berries and mash them around a little. 
Add a little honey (or sugar ) and pour in brandy (or vodka, spiced rum ) just enough to cover berries, cover and refrigerate.

Let the flavors blend, taste each week, add more sweetener if needed. 
I like cinnamon with my berries so I put in a pinch of fresh ground so as not to overpower the berry flavor.
A vanilla bean may be nice also.

This "berry bubble" makes an elegant statement over vanilla ice cream. Also use it in cakes, puddings and pies. I strain out some of the berry liqueur into a shot glass for a real taste treat. This will keep in your fridge indefinitely as long as you keep adding to it and Yes you can mix and mingle all sorts of fruits, sweeteners and alcohols to make it uniquely yours. 
Enjoy ! 

1 comment:

Clytie said...

My taste buds just went 'sproing!' I am definitely going to try this! Soon!!!