Pages


Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Crafting and Crystals on a Rainy Day



I've been making amulet bags for days. Leather ones with and without fringe, yummy wools and colorful cottons, I even have hemp bags in the works. I started with the idea of each bag intricately decorated, each having it's own identity .... I wasted a whole day on just one bag, getting the right beads and jingles and gemstones and feathers, what colors did it want ? what will it hold ? ackhhh, it made my head hurt .... "get real lady we gotta move on to something else" (that would be the voice in my head, don't act like you don't have one !) SO, I got real.
I'm grasping the concept of creating my own retail stock. That means making something in large enough quantities that I'll have stock to last me for the season. So, I make the nice basic bag, sell them for a great price ($3) hemp ($6) and to fill that inner urge to get artsy I'll make a handful of specialty pouches. That's the plan, I'm stickin' to it.



While digging through the baskets and bags in the back of the 'wagon' I discovered these lovelies nestled snugly in their green velvet bag. 5+ pounds of pink chalcedony desert rose agates, they were purchased from an ol' rockhound while travelling the Oregon coast way.

I've loved this stone from the first time I laid eyes on it. It's hard to find info on this particular desert rose, here's what I found;

Folklore, Legend, and Healing Properties:
Native American Indians believed chalcedony was a sacred stone and used in the spiritual ceremonies of the tribe.
It is thought to increase vitality, stamina, and endurance and to promote emotional balance and charity while relieving melancholy, fever, gallstones, and eye problems.


I've kept aside a couple for myself and the rest will go with me to the fairs.

No comments: